Thursday, January 29, 2009

Odalisk minus rauchenburg...

Although I have never seen the above work in person...it has stuck with me since I first was exposed to this image. I seen many works of Rauchenburg's but sadly not this one...yet. If this work has helped to form my understanding of my own practice without ever actually physically existing in my space, what does it really look like in my head?
And what exactly am I being informed by? What would be different if I saw it in person? This has been an experience I have had with other works that my a priori understanding did not match up with reality. Sometimes for good, Sometimes for the bad. The image below is the very beginning of my Odalisk minus work....we'll see where I end up.

1 comment:

  1. Really, I wished lately that I could ask my audience these questions.
    I am always affected, seeing a masterpiece in person. Or good books to film. Or meeting someone in person. It changes everything.

    ReplyDelete